Tuesday, 18 February 2014

An Oriental Gift Box

Hi everyone!  How did your weekend go?  Ours was wonderful as Andy was home :-)  Yay!  Took him back to the airport yesterday though - booooo!

I am sharing this post over at She's A Sassy Lady today too.  Thanks Sheila for having me come visit each month and I'm sending you lots of hugs!

Anyways, I have finally got round to making a gift box for the Oriental cards I made the other week, using the Polkadoodles Dollie Daydream Goes East collection.  Remember these :-)


I wanted the box to look somewhat oriental and needed to fit the size of my DL cards, which are 8" by 3", plus the envelopes.  So I started off with a piece of cardboard from a package I had received.  


It measures 9" by 4" and I bought some gold tissue to cover it.  I just wrapped it like a present.  Looks like a yummy bar of chocolate doesn't it :-)


For the underneath, I cut a piece of black card stock just a quarter of an inch smaller and stuck this over where I had stuck the tissue.  Therefore hiding any tape etc.


Next up was making the box to put the cards in.  I cut a piece of card stock 10 7/8" by 5 7/8".  Then scored this piece at 1.25" on all sides, and cut in tabs ready to make the box.


Made up the box and secured this to the gold base.


Next up, is the lid.  You will need an 11" by 6" piece of card stock, once again scored on all sides at 1.25".  For this piece, I also used my circle punch and just clipped out those little pieces for easy of lifting the lid off.


Now, in hind sight, I would recommend that you decorate the panels before you put the box together! But as I was experimenting with the size of the box and it worked, I didn't want to waste it, so I had to put the panels on after it was assembled, albeit a little fiddly :-)


I really didn't want to over embellish the box, as the papers are stunning in themselves.  However, I have added a couple of fans and the scroll.  All the papers and embellishments are from the Polkadoodles Dollie Daydream Goes East collection - it is available as a CD and also as a download bundle!


I scored the fans, added a little pearl dot and then rolled the scroll, to add some dimension to them.


And there you have it, a lovely box to give this set as a gift.




I hope you enjoyed your visit today.

Entering this box in the following challenges.

That Craft Place Challenge - Make or Alter a box (closes 1 Mar) 

Thanks for stopping by.

Happy crafting.

35 comments:

Naomi Edwards said...

Wow , Wow , Wow and WOW!!!! What a beautiful box , I can't get over how gorgeous those papers are!!!! It looks so fantastic with black..thank you for the tutorial and all your cards are gorgeous as well...beautiful work my friend!!! hugs

tilly's crafts said...

wow and what a stunning project Karon! it looks really gorgeous!
Kim x

Sonya said...

Absolutely amazing!!!

Creations by Shirl said...

It's beautiful for all those cards Karon... love it!

Lou Sims said...

Stunning Karon and compliments the cards beautifully. Also, many thanks for the measurements ... phew, takes away all the hard work of measuring.

Lou x

Boopster said...

Beautiful cards and box. Do you print the papers out on your printer? I have a ton of questions about this collection of papers and images - they are so sweet!

Gertrude said...

WOW, Karon ich bin total begeistert, alles wunderschön
danke für ihren Kommentar
glg Gertrude

kdnkdd said...

Truly gorgeous.

Andie Miller said...

My jaw literally dropped! I was expecting good, maybe even great. This box is perfect! I love the choice of pattern for the box and the colors and the style. Great job, Karon!

Teresa Arsenault said...

Beautiful box and card set for a very lucky recipient.

Lisa said...

This is absolutely gorgeous, Karon!! The papers are stunning!! This is perfect for the amazing cards!! Love, love it!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

This is amazing! Such a gorgeous box! Carri~Abusybee

Karen said...

Karon, this box is stunning! The papers in this collection are exquisite. I love your detailing on top, which offers such a gorgeous hint as to what's inside. Marvelous work and an excellent tutorial, my friend! Have a happy day! :o)

Hugs and blessings,
Karen

Sandra said...

Your project is just gorgeous! I am so glad I purchased this CD. I can't wait for it to be delivered.

Keep inspiring,
Sandra

Cely said...

so fabulous, all of them! love it!

Stephanie said...

Your box turned out beautiful. Someone is going to receive a gorgeous gift. Great tutorial, too.

Sandy Trefger said...

Oh! I love your box and how you made it! Such a wonderful idea for a beautiful set of cards and the box is decorated so pretty!

Creative M said...

Karon, This is seriously BEAUTIFUL!! I love the GORGEOUS cards but the addition of the GORGEOUS boxes are AMAZING!!
Love! Love! Love!!
Have a wonderful day my creative friend,
Migdalia
*Crafting With Creative M*



Tracy said...

Your decorative box is a gift in itself.
So beautiful

yyam said...

Oh my! What a fabulous box to store those awesome cards! :)

jessica said...

WOWZERS Karon!!!
This box is incredible!!! What a stunning piece of artwork to hold those already amazing cards!!
This project is AWESOME my friend!!

Missy said...

Goodness Karon this is stunning, I love that pretty paper!

Anet van Zyl said...

This is just stunning Karon, I love your gift box. Beautiful paper and embellishments.

Sally Bernhard said...

This is fab karon x

Nicola Leighton said...

Great project, going to have a go :)

Lisa M said...

You're amazing! This handmade box is perfection for our tall cards. Incredible papers and the embellishments are spot on. Love this Karon :)

Nikky Hall said...

OH EMMM GEEEEEE!!! Ditto to all the comments above this is absolutely superb work for the Polkadoodles DT - so inspirational Karon, I adore this!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work on this I love it - did I say that I love it? I love it!! xx

Amanda said...

Hi Karon, Beautiful box for those lovely cards you have made. You have made the tutorial for the box look easy to follow. Thankyou for joining in with the Challenge at That Craft Place. Good Luck and hope to see you again soon.
Hugs Amanda

Asha said...

Gorgeous, Karon...just gorgeous. Those stunning cards deserve somewhere lush to reside!
hugs, Asha - Sunny Summer Crafts

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Oh so cool and creative. Love how made your box and how the designer paper pattern flows. Such attention to all the details.

Wow-wee!

Tracey said...

OMGosh.....Wow! The box is perfect, love the pretty papers.

Bimba said...

This is amazing, Karon! Love the designer paper pattern. Some day I would like to try your tutorial on!

Claire Boelema said...

Absolutely love this box (and the cards). Fab tutorial.

Claire x

Susie Craft Happy! said...

You are amazing!!!! Love the boxes. Beautiful created and decorated.

Susie

Trudie said...

beautifully made and gorgeous colours xx Thanks for joining us at TCP xx